California Trade Justice Organizer
Citizens Trade Campaign (www.citizenstrade.org
) is seeking an experienced organizer to lead its California-based campaigns on the pending Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) Free Trade Agreement and Fast Track.
The California organizer will work with labor, environmental, family farm, consumer and other social justice organizations to educate and mobilize community leaders and constituents to participate meaningfully in these policy debates and directly influence policymakers’’ decisions. This is currently a 6-month contract position in 2013, with the potential to transition into a permanent, full-time director position with the California Fair Trade Coalition in 2014.
The California organizer will first-and-foremost be responsible for leading legislative campaigns on the TPP and Fast Track. This includes:
* Meeting with the leadership of various labor, environmental, family farm, consumer and other social justice organizations to solicit their involvement
* Convening leaders from various organizations via face-to-face meetings and/or conference calls to develop, update and execute Congressional district-by-district campaign plans to defeat Fast Track
* Organizing public events, conducting earned media, coordinating phone banks and leading other campaign tactics
* Staying on top of national and local trade policy developments
* Communicating with California’’s Congressional delegation and other elected officials
* Coordinating regularly with Citizens Trade Campaign’’s national director
Other responsibilities include, but are not limited to…
* Identifying key leaders for long-term participation in the permanent California Fair Trade Coalition and building relationships with them
* Soliciting funds from supportive local organizations and others to aid in short-term and long-term in-state campaigning
Only highly-organized self-starters should consider applying for this position. A successful candidate will:
* Have a deep commitment to and passion for social and economic justice
* Work well independently and possess an entrepreneurial spirit
* Have at least three years organizing experience (professional or volunteer), ideally with legislative campaigns
* Have experience working with volunteers and developing leadership
* Have strong communication skills and be comfortable with public speaking and writing
* Be able to work within a budget
* Be comfortable working with labor unions, environmental groups and family farm organizations and people of diverse races, sexualities and political backgrounds
* Fluency in languages beyond English is a strong plus
Location & Compensation
The position is ideally based in the Los Angeles area, but other locations within California could be considered for the right candidate. The organizer will work from home and/or from donated desk space in an allied organization’’s office.
This is a 6-month contract, with the potential to transition into a permanent, full-time position. The contract pays $3,000 to $4,000 per month, depending on experience, with a modest expense allowance.
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
as soon as possible. We will consider resumes until the position is filled. No calls please. [POSTED JUNE 7, 2013]