Trade Justice Organizing Positions
Seeking Organizers in CA, IL, CO, FL, WA, VA, MD, CT, RI & MA
Citizens Trade Campaign (www.citizenstrade.org) is seeking talented contract organizers to lead on-the-ground legislative campaigns on the pending Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) Free Trade Agreement and Fast Track.
Organizers will work with labor, environmental, family farm, consumer and other social justice organizations to educate and mobilize community leaders and constituents to participate meaningfully in these policy debates and directly influence policymakers’ decisions. These are currently 4-month contract positions, with some potential to transition into long-term positions.
Citizens Trade Campaign is seeking applications from qualified organizers in northern California, southern California, Illinois, Colorado, Florida, Washington, Virginia, southern New England and Maryland.
Organizers will first-and-foremost be responsible for leading legislative campaigns on the TPP and Fast Track. This includes:
* Meeting with the leadership of various labor, environmental, family farm, consumer and other social justice organizations to solicit their involvement
* Convening leaders from various organizations via face-to-face meetings and/or conference calls to develop, update and execute Congressional district-by-district campaign plans to defeat Fast Track
* Organizing public events, conducting earned media, coordinating phone banks and leading other campaign tactics
* Staying on top of national and local trade policy developments
* Communicating with targeted Congressional offices and other elected officials
* Coordinating regularly with Citizens Trade Campaign’s national director
Other responsibilities include, but are not limited to…
* Identifying key leaders for long-term participation in permanent coalition building
* Soliciting funds from supportive local organizations and others to aid in short-term and long-term in-state campaigning
Only highly-organized self-starters should consider applying for this position. A successful candidate will:
* Have a deep commitment to and passion for social and economic justice
* Work well independently and possess an entrepreneurial spirit
* Have at least three years organizing experience (professional or volunteer), ideally with legislative campaigns
* Have experience working with volunteers and developing leadership
* Have strong communication skills and be comfortable with public speaking and writing
* Be able to work within a budget
* Be comfortable working with labor unions, environmental groups and family farm organizations and people of diverse races, sexualities and political backgrounds
* Fluency in languages beyond English is a strong plus
Location & Compensation
These positions are ideally located in major metropolitan areas in northern California, southern California, Illinois, Colorado, Florida, Washington, Virginia, southern New England and Maryland, but different locations in those states could be considered for the right candidate. Organizers will work from home and/or from donated desk space at an allied organization’s office.
These are currently 4-month contracts, paying $2,500/month. Potential exists to extend the contract beyond four months, and possibly transition into long-term positions.
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com as soon as possible. We will consider resumes until the position is filled. No calls please. [POSTED JANUARY 14, 2014]