Trade Justice Organizer in Oregon
Oregon Fair Trade Campaign (www.oregonfairtrade.org) is seeking a kick-ass contract organizer to assist its district-by-district campaign against Fast Track for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP).
The organizer will work with labor, environmental, family farm, consumer and other social justice organizations to educate and mobilize community leaders and constituents to participate meaningfully in the Fast Track debate and secure Congress members’ opposition. This is currently a 3-month contract position, with the potential for extension.
The organizer will help execute district-specific legislative campaigns against Fast Track for the TPP. This includes:
* Organizing protests, press events and community forums
* Recruiting constituents to bird-dog at Congress members’ Town Hall events and fundraisers
* Meeting with the leadership of various labor, environmental, family farm, consumer and other social justice organizations to solicit their involvement
* Convening leaders from various organizations via face-to-face meetings and/or conference calls
* Communicating daily with the Oregon Fair Trade Campaign director
Only highly-organized self-starters who want to defeat the biggest corporate power grab of the millennium need apply. A successful candidate will:
* Have a deep commitment to and passion for social and economic justice
* Work well independently, unafraid of tasks large and small, able to meet deadlines
* Have at least three years organizing experience (professional or volunteer), ideally with legislative campaigns
* Have experience working with volunteers
* Have strong communication skills and be comfortable with public speaking and writing
* Be comfortable working with labor unions, environmental groups and family farm organizations and people of diverse races, sexualities and political backgrounds
* Knowledge of trade policy and fluency in languages beyond English are strong pluses, but not necessarily required
Length & Location
The position is ideally based in Portland or Salem. This is currently a 3-month contract, with the potential for extension. It begins immediately.
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com as soon as possible. We will consider resumes until the position is filled. No calls please.
The Oregon Fair Trade Campaign offers a variety of internships. All candidates must be self-motivated, work well independently and have a strong interest in trade policy and/or social justice organizing. Our internships are unpaid, but we work with each of our interns to create a personalized program that helps you practice the skill sets you’re most interested in developing.
We accept applications on a rolling basis. If you are interested in being considered for an internship, please email a resume and cover letter to Elizabeth Swager at elizabeth[at]oregonfairtrade.org.