Trade Justice Coordinator
Oregon Fair Trade Campaign is a statewide coalition of labor, environmental and human rights organizations that builds organizing power to transform U.S. trade rules into policies that put people and the planet before corporate profits (www.oregonfairtrade.org).
We are seeking an experienced organizer to develop our fair trade coalition and lead in-state campaigning for trade policy that creates good jobs, raises wages, reduces inequality, protects the environment and ensures healthy communities across borders. The Coordinator will work closely with grassroots volunteers, community leaders, the board of directors, and with the coalition’s national affiliate Citizens Trade Campaign (www.citizenstrade.org).
The Oregon Trade Justice Coordinator will develop powerful partnership among labor, environmental, family farm, consumer and other social justice organizations with a mission of educating and mobilizing community leaders and constituents to participate meaningfully in these policy debates and directly influence policymakers’ decisions.
- Meeting with the leadership of diverse organizations to solicit their involvement in trade justice campaigning
- Raising resources from coalition members, foundations and individual donors
- Convening leaders from various organizations via face-to-face meetings and/or conference calls to develop, update and execute Congressional district-by-district campaign plans
- Organizing public events, conducting earned media, coordinating lobbying efforts and leading other campaign tactics
- Staying on top of national and local trade policy developments
- Communicating with Oregon’s Congressional delegation and staff
- Basic budgeting, bookkeeping and government reporting with help from Board Treasurer
- Coordinating regularly with Citizens Trade Campaign’s staff
Only highly-organized self-starters should consider applying for this position. A successful candidate will:
- Have a deep commitment to and passion for social, economic and environmental justice
- Work well independently and possess an entrepreneurial spirit
- Have at least three years organizing experience, ideally with legislative campaigns
- Have experience working with volunteers and developing leadership
- Have strong communication skills and be comfortable with public speaking and writing
- Be able to work within a budget
- Be excited to work with labor unions, environmental groups and family farm organizations and people of diverse races, sexualities and political backgrounds
- Possess a valid driver’s license, be willing to travel statewide and to work extended hours as needed
- Fluency in languages beyond English is a strong plus
Hours, Location & Compensation
The position is based in Portland and the coordinator will have a shared office down town.
The salary is $35,000 and the coordinator will work with its board to develop a sustainable compensation package and advancement based on fundraising.
Please send a resume and a two-page cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will consider resumes until the position is filled. No calls please.
ORFTC is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, women, individuals with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ community.
The Oregon Fair Trade Campaign offers a variety of internships. All candidates must be self-motivated, work well independently and have a strong interest in trade policy and/or social justice organizing. Our internships are unpaid, but we work with each of our interns to create a personalized program that helps you practice the skill sets you’re most interested in developing.
We accept applications on a rolling basis. If you are interested in being considered for an internship, please email a resume and cover letter to Elizabeth Swager at info[at]oregonfairtrade.org.